The Umbrella of Organisations of Persons with Disabilities in the Fight against HIV/AIDS & for Health Promotion (UPHLS)
The Umbrella of Organisations of Persons with Disabilities in the Fight against HIV/AIDS & for Health Promotion (UPHLS) is a non-government organization operating in 30 districts of Rwanda. The thematic areas of intervention include: HIV/AIDS prevention, improved health and employability of persons with disabilities, inclusive health policies, and budgetary allocation.
Member DPOs include:
- Rwanda National Union of the Deaf (RNUD)
- Association Generale des Personnes Handicapees au Rwanda (AGHR)
- Rwanda Union of the Blind (RUB)
- UWEZO (Union of Disabled Youths)
- THT (Drama club of the Disabled Persons)
- OLSAR (Organisation of Landmine Survivors)
- ABADAHIGWA (Blind Veterans)
UPHLS’ mission is to strengthen the capacities of member organizations, support, guide and coordinate programs to promote the rights of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) for inclusive services in HIV&AIDS, health and employability.
Vision: An inclusive society where persons with disabilities are empowered and enjoy well-being and dignity.
Our work is focused towards four main development goals:
- Disability mainstreaming. Supporting disabled people to exercise their rights, and promoting their full inclusion and active participation as equal members of their families, communities and societies.
- Health. Promoting the physical, mental and social well-being of persons with disabilities (PWDs) to maintain their own health and well-being and assert their right to essential services and improving the quality and availability of health services in the country including, SRHR & HIV/AIDS. Working to mitigate the impact on those infected and affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic, by supporting interventions in the areas of prevention, increasing the availability of treatment, care and support, and combating stigma among persons with disabilities & access to sexual reproductive health services for PWDs.
- People centred advocacy. Strengthening and empowering disabled people organisations on evidence-based advocacy and to respond to the priorities of their beneficiaries.
- Employability/livelihoods. Improving the livelihoods of people with disabilities through cooperative formation and engagement.
Area(s) of Focus
Democracy and Governance, Education, Family Planning and Reproductive Health, Gender, Gender Based Violence, HIV and AIDS, Human Centered Design, Life Skills, Nutrition, Organizational Development, Private Sector Partnerships, Rights Based Programs, Social and Behavior Change Communication, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Youth
Other Areas of Focus
Secure livelihood, Health financing of Person with disability,Inclusiveness through UNCRPD &SDGs